Login

Last Seen

CB Workflows

Home arrow Forums
iWindsurf.co.uk Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Holiday Recommendation - Canaries / Egypt / France (1 viewing) (1) Guests
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Holiday Recommendation - Canaries / Egypt / France
pfl (User)
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Holiday Recommendation - Canaries / Egypt / France 20 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0  
I'm thinking of going on hols in the next few weeks. Any recommendations on where to go. Went to lake garda last year on a beginner course. kinda pissy wind all week. After a good summer in Ireland, we're starved of wind for that past month.

Had a look at futerventura flights for 120 return, sounds good, but don't know.

need somewhere with boards / kit hire as I'm flying over.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
stu (User)
graphgraph
Holiday Recommendation - Canaries / Egypt / France 20 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 6  
I did a long trip surfing to Fuerte a couple of years ago, the place is great for any kind of water activity, especially windsurfing.

In Corralejo, up North, you have access to the infamous "North Track" a dirt road that leads you along some of the finest breaks in Europe, and it is also the main tourist stop for the Island. In this area there is Flag Beach who do rentals (Fanatic), the main bay with some mickey mouse operation, or you could take a trip out to Los Lobos on a boat to watch the locals tear apart a point break. Flag Beach do kitesurf lessons if the wind is not so good, but make sure you ask for Gunnar. If there is no wind here, call the guys at Rene Egli to see if the wind is any better there. The boys running the centre at Flag Beach will tell you there is no wind there to make you stay, but in reality you could be overpowered on a 4.7 down south. The water in Flag Beach is quite flat with a bit of a wave out back, but can get pretty meaty. Also worth a visit is Corkys and Oink in town, though go later as it can get a bit messy if you go out too early... Surfboards can also be rented from the many surf shops.

The world famous Rene Egli Centre http://www.rene-egli.com/ (Sotavento) do Neil Pryde and JP, although they are rather expensive and German biased. They also do kitesurfing. Problem here is the wind is usually offshore and usually pretty strong and rescue cover was non-existant!

I went early season and the wind was a little unreliable, high season its pretty much guaranteed, and then this time of year it starts to get a little unreliable again.

All in all, well recommended.

gopher68 (User)
graphgraph
Holiday Recommendation - Canaries / Egypt / France 20 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0  
Came back from Corralego a few weeks ago, the north of the island is cheaper for board hire than the south, although that may have been because the PWA world cup was on at Sotavento. Hire cars are cheap from flag beach and you are 15mins from Cotillo and 5 mins from Glass beach, both amazing. You can also hire from the local Coralejo center and it takes about 5 mins to sail over to Los Lobos. Corky's' bar is expensive with ice cold tasteless beer, it survives because of all of the bullshit in the windsurfing press, try the Rock Island Bar about 2 mins walk away, excellent cheap local beer, live music and the owner also windsurfs.(used to run a pub in Stockport). The winds do get less predictable from now on but there is plenty of live data on the web to check past trends.

bert (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Holiday Recommendation - Canaries / Egypt / France 20 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16  
I also went to Fuerte back in March and had a bad time due to lack of wind - but I could see the potential. We stayed in Caletta de fuste which is really too quiet.

We went with a holiday company called extreme holidays and I had a fairly major fall out with them so I'd recommend against them, cowboys ! If I was to go again I'd get a hire car and rent from the appropriate beach as the guys have already recommended.

There's also some information in our venue reviews section, Cookie-Monster wrote a review on Glass Beach

Hope the wind blows for you.....

dave (User)
graphgraph
Also went to the goat island this year! Again I went with the extreme holiday cowboys! Didn't fall out with them but i had no wind all week except one morning and they wouldn't go out as it was offshore and their jetski (aka rescue boat was not working).

Still that was not the main problem. In our group of seven we has three beginnners - so even if they conditions had been good we would have still been looking for conditions for everyone. NOT v extreme at all!!!!!!! Definitely would hire a car in the furture and go independently! Anyway I'm off to ireland in a months time - looping!!??!!

Come on sunday - looks like a blinder, see you all down at rhossy.

bert (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Holiday Recommendation - Canaries / Egypt / France 20 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16  
If it was offshore - why didn't they travel to somewhere that wasn't ?

When did you go with them - the Jet ski was broken in February and at that time they'd sold all the previous years kit (esp sails) and hadn't got the new ones, so we were on the beach watching private punters planing up and down on 7m sails and we had one 6m sail between four of us....

That was week 1, week 2 we had the major mixed ability thing - I've been sailing 18 years and there were two absolute beginners in the group !! We had asked specifically about this before we went (because one of the beginners was my partner) and were told there were two seperate groups - I even asked if I could forfeit some of my extreme sailing to join my beginner partner and was told this would be possible. When we raised the issue with them they denied the whole issue saying we were told it was one group - they basically called us liars !

The 'luxury' accomodation was also awful and tere were quite a few other things not right but I'll get off my soap box....

I must say our instructor Richie was a star - none of it was his fault and he did his best to keep us amused.

So we wrote them a letter and two months later they replied and fobbed us off saying we'd got it all wrong and the lack of sails wasn't their fault and neither was the jet ski and we got the groups issue wrong etc etc.. customer relations training required bigtime !! Have they never heard that the customer is always right ??

Extreme holidays ??

Try Extremely Average Holdays !!

Go to top Post Reply